Go down
SchipperkeSue
SchipperkeSue

Sssnakessss! Empty Sssnakessss!

Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:12 pm
My beautiful snakes! Did you know that Canada has a native species of boa? The Rubber Boa is native to the Okanagan and bears live young!Sssnakessss! 37739c10
Sssnakessss! C92b1510
Norma Y

Sssnakessss! Empty Re: Sssnakessss!

Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:07 pm
Super cool. I did not know that. I have missed the interesting things I learn from you!
SchipperkeSue
SchipperkeSue

Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:32 am
Norma Y wrote:Super cool. I did not know that. I have missed the interesting things I learn from you!

And I, you! Glad you are here!
uno
uno

Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:55 pm
Rubber boas are fairly common here. I had never seen one until moving up onto this bedrock hillside. When we were building our house I found one and took it to the high school biology teacher to see if she could identify it. She did not know what it was either. They are not quick, like the garter snakes. Much more sluggish. I have to rescue one from the hens every now and then. A hen on each end yanking for all their worth, thus the name rubber boa, likely to get stretched between two chickens! I would love to see one have babies! As pets, do they bite? I know a garter snake will chomp you if it feels the need.
SchipperkeSue
SchipperkeSue

Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:18 pm
They are the most gentle snake ever. No bite, they just curl up around your arm and hold on tight.
niglefritz
niglefritz
https://community.thegrownetwork.com/

Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:34 pm
SchipperkeSue wrote:My beautiful snakes!  Did you know that Canada has a native species of boa?  The Rubber Boa is native to the Okanagan and bears live young!Sssnakessss! 37739c10
Sssnakessss! C92b1510

That is pretty cool. I didn't know that!

So...my daughter would love one like that, but, she's got a baby. She played with garter snakes since she was 2. We kept some in a tank outside for a bit. The next day after capture, it had babies. We also kept some I'm a tank indoors for a few months. That was fun.

How safe are these around little ones? How big do they get, and can you actually legally keep them as pets?
SchipperkeSue
SchipperkeSue

Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:32 am
They are similar to Garter snakes as they are live bearers, but dissimilar because they are constrictors. They only get a couple- 3 feet long maximum and that would be rare. They are legal to have in Alberta but in BC you cannot have them nor can you collect them.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum